1. All of space is completely silent.
Sound waves need a medium to travel through. Since there is no atmosphere in space, space will always be eerily silent. Luckily, radio waves can – therefore communication for Astronomers is not a problem!
Source: Cornell University Department of Astronomy
2. 99% of our solar system’s mass is the sun.
3. If two pieces of the same type of metal touch in space, they will bond and be permanently stuck together.
This amazing effect is called cold welding. It happens because the atoms of the individual pieces of metal have no way of knowing that they are different pieces of metal, so the pieces join together.
Source: European Space Agency
4. The largest asteroid ever recorded is a mammoth piece of space rock named Ceres.
The asteroid is almost 600 miles in diameter. The surface area is approximately equal to the land area of India or Argentina!
5. More energy from the sun hits Earth every hour than the planet uses in a year.
The Earth receives an average solar insolation of 1361 Watts per square meter at the top of the atmosphere. *
Source: National Geographic & Quora